A Snowy Mountains holiday at Thredbo as a non-skier means you can still be a snow bunny to rival the best of them. You don?t have to ski. It?s just ONE of many options. You can relax, get fit or just suit yourself, whatever your whim. Here are some top winter alternatives to get the best out of your Thredbo holiday.
1. Alpine Walks
Kosciuszko National park?is a fantastic place to walk around in the crisp mountain air on your Snowy Mountain holiday. With sturdy snow shoes, and rugged up in appropriate clothes for snow conditions, the views are magic and the calories burnt are significant.[caption id="attachment_6504" align="alignleft" width="178"] Rug up and rack off for an hour or two[/caption]
Staying in Thredbo you are well placed to take the Kosciuszko Express Chairlift to the top and walk around to check out the scenery and over just a short distance to have a hot chocolate or a meal in the Eagles Nest. Walking around Friday Flats or at the base of the shops enjoying a hot beverage can be a fun way of enjoying some much needed vitamin D.
Ian from Thredbo suggests going one further and enjoying a snow shoe tour. He says ? You can strap on some snow shoes at the top of the Kosciuszko Express chairlift and within half an hour you will be in a snow covered wilderness of wind scoured boulders and?ice crusted snow gums. This is a unique landscape unlike any other Alpine area on earth but many people never venture out from the resort so they only see glimpses of it. K7 Adventures offer snow shoe tours throughout the snow season and well into spring?.
3. Thredbo Leisure CentreHead over to Thredbo?s Leisure Centre in your lycras if indoor fitness on your Snowy Mountains holiday is more your thing. Use the equipment or take a class (yoga), whatever suits. A one day entry is $14 and is accessible for those age 15 and over. Nothing better than feeling like you?ve put in the work before the evening?s drinks and pizzas. The Leisure Centre?also offers a 50 metre or 25 metre pool, so you can continue your swimming program here in Thredbo Village. (Email firstname.lastname@example.org?or?phone 02 6459 4138).
4. Culture VulturesVisit the Thredbo Museum in the lower level of the Thredbo Alpine Hotel open daily. It features skis, vintage snow fashion and has many fascinating videos. Take your overseas visitors on their Snowy Mountains holiday here. You can also get a sense of the wild bushman mountain outback admiring paraphernalia at the T-Bar (restaurant) ?while enjoying a hot drink or meal. You can also drive up the road towards Jindabyne to the Wildbrumby Distillery to admire the regional art works of local artist Brad Spalding.
5. Rock ClimbingIf you?re a Discovery Channel fiend you will already know that anytime of year is a great time to?rock climb?on a Snowy Mountains holiday. One point of difference is that staying at the Lantern Apartments you won?t need to pitch a tent halfway up a rock for the night. You can have a warm bath and a glass of wine instead. No comparisons there. K7 also provide rock climbing instruction, and provide excursions a little further afield for ice climbing enthusiasts. At Thredbo?s Leisure Centre you can traverse rock climb from the comfort of the indoors on a 30 x 2.4m rock climbing wall. Entry is $8 or $6 for kids. (Emailemail@example.com?or?phone 02 6459 4138). 6. Winter Trout Fishing on Lake Jindabyne? Add it to the bucket list?.then cook it for dinner. Lake Jindabyne is the perfect spot to throw in a line and?enjoy some tranquility?in the sunshine, whilst everyone else is shivering up the top! [caption id="attachment_6518" align="alignleft" width="200"] Fishing is another great family activity[/caption]
Steve Williamson?is one of the local fishing guides who operates all year round and runs beginner trout fishing, half and full days tours and more advanced options involving boat trauling and fly fishing. Prices from $130 for 2 hours. (Call 02 64561551).7.?Snowy Mountains holiday shopping Thredbo is a fun place for shoppers, always an important element of any non-skiing affair. You can have quite a decent pick through for Alpine clothes, or apr?s-ski?fashion. Michelle?s, Snow Sports, Thredbo Newsagency for books and gifts and toys, Ripcurl, JK Gallery Mountain Shop for paintings and gifts. Finish up with a hot chocolate at the base of the chairlift. 8. Blow up Obstacle Course and Waterslide These are found at the Thredbo Leisure Centre, which is open every day of the year. At age 12 Zac Wilson is the perfect critic to spill the beans what these oversized toys are like. He says ?The waterslide is a really good one, you sit on mats and you land in warm water. The big blow up (?Mission Inflatable?) obstacle course is popular with kids as well as adults and is really good. You have to crawl through a tunnel and go over stuff. On the rocket you have to walk along a long narrow thing over the water. It?s cool?. The inflatable course is $5 per session or $6.50 for the torpedo topple (the rocket). A 10 visit entry pack is available for the inflatable and torpedo topple combined at $55.?(Emailfirstname.lastname@example.org?or?phone 02 6459 4138).
9. Horse RidingWhat a fantastic way to get in touch with your inner High Country Mountain Man or Woman.?They do say horses were nature?s Chiropractors long before Chiropractors were invented! [caption id="attachment_6521" align="alignleft" width="300"] Horse Riding[/caption]
Thredbo Valley Horse Riding has 1 and 2 hour rides ($50 ?per person 1 hour, $70 per person 2 hours) for beginners and children. Phone 6456 2142 or 0421 332 126 for bookings and enquiries. Rug up! Snowy Wilderness Horse Riding has 2 to 7 day riding packages, a fantastic way to rival any ski or snowboard riders and their trim legs after a few days. They have two hour rides also and depart three times a day. Phone 1800 218 171 for enquiries.Snowy Mountains Holiday Accommodation
When you stay at the Lantern Thredbo Apartments you can cater your alternative snow activities to suit you and there are always snow deals for accommodation?or Snowy Mountains holiday packages worth checking out. For both leisurely or active activities on a Thredbo weekend we suggest:
- going for a walk in the morning and do some shopping in the afternoon, - paying a visit to the Leisure Centre one day and?horse riding another day, - honing your Alpine Photography at Kosciuszko National park, - ducking inside Eagles Nest for a hot drink when you?ve had enough.
For longer stays there?s always:
- Jindabyne cinemas - The Wildbrumby Distillery - Jindabyne for extensive shopping