Holidays with kids in Thredbo?
Posted on Wednesday, 9th of January 2013
We often have guests calling to book a summer family holiday in Thredbo asking “Is there enough to do if we stay 2 or 3 nights? I am always tempted to reply that I have been here for 25 years and I am still finding new ways to have fun. Seriously though the question should be “is a week long enough?” If your family enjoys being active there is a ton of stuff to do. Here is a classic 3 day itinerary of family fun in Thredbo and the Snowy Mountains that will keep everyone busy:
- Obviously most people do the walk to Mt Kosciuszko which takes care of 1 day all by itself.
- It is quite easy to spend another day exploring the village with activities like the Bobsled, leisure centre with water slide or a swim in the Thredbo River or Friday Flat Pond which can be very pleasant on a warm day, or a bike ride (available for hire if you don’t bring them) on the brand new Thredbo Valley Trail following the river downstream with some amazing views.
- Another day could easily be taken up with a Breakfast at Eagles Nest Restaurant at the top of the Chairlift with views all the way to Jindabyne followed by one of the other walks like the spectacular Dead Horse Gap track with close up views of the Granite peaks of the Ramshead Range and lovely walk back along the Thredbo River (3 hours) or the beautiful Merrits Nature Trail with an amazing section of old Alpine Ash forest and waterfalls (2 hours).
- Thredbo has plenty of great restaurants, cafes, amazing bakery, supermarket, galleries, gift shops and fashion and sports shops open so the dining and retail Therapy are covered.
- A trip to Charlottes Pass and Jindabyne can sort out another day with lovely views from Charlottes of the Main Range and the Ancient Glacial terrain, still with some snow drifts this year. Once you get to Jindabyne there is the Gaden Trout Hatchery for a tour of the fishery and a great spot for a picnic or head into town for plenty of shops café and Cinema. If it is a hot afternoon, swim in Lake Jindabyne or rent a canoe or Sail boat or even go wake boarding. Jindabyne also has some excellent bike and walking tracks around the Lake shore so you can go for a stroll or a peddle there after lunch and have an early Dinner in one of the restaurants in Jindabyne for something different (La Cocina Mexican is my favourite).
I haven’t even mentioned the Downhill Mountain Bike riding options of the chairlift for older kids or the Trout fishing possibilities or the fact that we are in the Middle of the Kosciuszko National park and it doesn’t matter which way you turn there is something beautiful to look at and some absolutely gorgeous picnic spots.………
Whether you stay in Thredbo for 2 nights a week or 20 years, you won’t run out of things to do . Just bring clothes for all weather because we have hot days but we can also get frosty ones, even at the height of summer.
You can book the 3 for 2 Family Action pack with 3 nights accommodation for the price of 2 and 3 day family resort activity pass for the price of 2 days which includes unlimited chairlift rides and leisure centre access, bobsled rides, golf and tennis from only $535 for a family of 4 including everything. This package is available from January 20th and is available on the Australia Day weekend.
Or send a package enquiry below
[contact-form 6 “Thredbo_3_For_2_Action_Pack”]
Recommended Blog Posts?
Thredbo Blues Festival Final program.
The 19th Thredbo Blues Festival looks like being one of the best with an extraordinary line up of performers from Blues Legends right through to the rising stars of a musical genre that has captured the hearts of a new generation.See the artist line up below orClick here to see...Read More